Note from admin: The forum software has been upgraded, however the theme/styles require maintenance. Please be patient as we work to restore them.

Photo
- - - - -

Sold - CANADA: 1974 Monaco Police Special (Alberta)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 SBTNT

SBTNT
  • Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:31 PM

As for the big "0's" on the speedo........I was talking with a fellow a few years back that used to prep police cars in Alberta years ago and he stated that was quite common in the older Dodge's as there was some sort of factory recall on faulty speedos and a whole bunch of them were changed out with factory Mopar replacement ones......and of course I asked how would one ever tell that this was the fact and he showed me in person on our unmarked unit...the one you see here. If you can see them, notice the 10th of a mile numbers are in RED and there is also a Mopar sticker on the front drivers door hinge pillar that states that the speedo was changed out at such and such a date when the car had X number of miles on it..........little things we learn along the way that make this hobby so cool! :BB:

#22 SBTNT

SBTNT
  • Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:45 PM

As for the 74 front clip......it's not to bad actually.....it has the usual rust at the bottoms of the fenders behind the wheels that need attention....and an unusual rust hole on the drivers side just behind the rubber insert that ties the fender into the bumper. Also as you can see in the picture the centre bottom grille is broken and someone got to the signal lenses before we did, but it would be a great find for the person who has any other year of Monaco as you all well know.........I keep getting bugged all the time, but we just can't let it go to the derby! It could help somone out I'm sure. :BB:

#23 scatpack01

scatpack01
  • Members
  • 681 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

mark that 74 SOLD!!! as soon as I can get to Edmonton.:BB:

#24 enervator

enervator
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLinden, NJ

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

I'd really love to buy this car. The $2500 it's apparently going to cost to get shipped to me could be prohibitive, though. I'm definitely keeping my eye on it.

#25 scatpack01

scatpack01
  • Members
  • 681 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

it shouldn't cost 2500 to ship. I don't know what the border crossing would be like.

#26 enervator

enervator
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLinden, NJ

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

Really? I guess I should get a few more quotes then. I had these people ship a Studebaker from Indiana a few years back, and it was only a few hundred so I figured I'd just use them again.

Thanks.

#27 sigmfsk

sigmfsk
  • Members
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

I earlier did just a small bit of research on importing the car from Canada:

I found that regarding DOT, its easy to import a car more than 25 years old:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ%20Site/page/page2.html#Anchor-28852

Regarding EPA, its easy to import a car more than 21 years old:
Overview of Vehicle Import Requirements | Importing Vehicles and Engines | US EPA

There's a customs form too:
- Can I import a vehicle to Michigan from a foreign country?

I was thinking that since the car runs pretty well, and I'm in Michigan, the most straightforward thing to do would be to find a shipper to transport the car from Edmonton to Windsor, Ontario, then drive it back to the USA myself. If I did run into border problems I could leave it at a repair shop in Canada until I came back with whatever extra paperwork was needed.

If someone in the USA gets it, I'll be curious to learn all that is involved (if they either do-it-themselves, or have it cross the border via a shipper).

your friend in working through the details,
arthur

#28 Steam McQueen

Steam McQueen
  • Members
  • 5,614 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:35 PM

If someone in the US buys this car I'll bring it "across" myself. I know a place ...

Posted Image

Cars are put on lightweight flatbeds and assisted through the recently enlarged tunnel by a diesel pusher, hence the ventilation. As an added convenience, and rather fortuitous, the American side of the tunnel is in close proximity to Arthur's house, as determined by the inset map.

Just an option to consider.

:BB:

#29 sigmfsk

sigmfsk
  • Members
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:42 AM

> I know a place ...

heheheh. I was laughing myself silly, while simultaneously asking how that map could be valid, being that where I am, Canada is separated from the USA by water.

I've always heard rumors of Steam's secret tunnel that he uses to import '74 Front Clips. I never thought about using it for the entire car!

your friend in minimal border crossing paperwork,
arthur

#30 Steam McQueen

Steam McQueen
  • Members
  • 5,614 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

asking how that map could be valid, being that where I am, Canada is separated from the USA by water.

If you hold the map to a mirror it should look right. :eek:
-

The auction is moving along. 14 bids - $3,800 - 4 days to go.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dodge : 1974 Dodge Monaco Ex Police Car "Bluesmobile": eBay Motors (item 120580607039 end time Jun-15-10 00:34:23 PDT)

:)

#31 SBTNT

SBTNT
  • Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:23 AM

Yes, it will be an interesting auction thought it's hard to say with any level of accuracy what the outcome will be. :)

#32 elwoodbluesBDR

elwoodbluesBDR
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Locationbrues

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:52 PM

man i would give my right leg for a monaco no joke

#33 SBTNT

SBTNT
  • Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:41 AM

Sorry....Um...not really interested in your right leg. :BB: But have you had a look at the 75 we have as well.......it's not as sweet by any stretch, but an economical way to get into the hobby. It's just a thought. :BB:

#34 TK826

TK826
  • Members
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationWauconda/Chicago

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:01 PM

SOLD!

Ok... who got it ?
"Grab a brew! ... Don't cost nuthin' "

#35 Steam McQueen

Steam McQueen
  • Members
  • 5,614 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

SOLD!

Where did you see "sold?" I'm seeing 19 bids - $4,500.01 - Reserve not met.

#36 TK826

TK826
  • Members
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationWauconda/Chicago

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

"Reserve not met"

D'oh! ... I missed that part.

Well, maybe next time.
"Grab a brew! ... Don't cost nuthin' "

#37 Steam McQueen

Steam McQueen
  • Members
  • 5,614 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:10 PM

I bet Dan would put 10K to this car to have it restored as is and donated to the RCMP Heritage Centre . They have cars there and it's only one province over. I'd rather see it go there than go overseas. :P Some pics from Saskatchewan ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 SBTNT

SBTNT
  • Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:41 AM

Yes, things did not go as we expected with the auction. Oh well, there is still interest among some people who know what the car really is.........and what it stands for....so who knows, something may still happen......and should nothing occur, there will be no tears shed.........as we will remain a part of some pretty awesome history not to mention being able to sit behind the wheel, rotate those cop tires and listen to that 440 suck up the asphalt at any given time as my soul desires. :BB:

#39 daniel k

daniel k
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Locationsydney

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:19 AM

hi is the 1974 dodge monaco ex police car still for sale??:P

#40 daniel k

daniel k
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Locationsydney