Note from admin: The forum software has been upgraded, however the theme/styles require maintenance. Please be patient as we work to restore them.

Photo
- - - - -

Dixie Square Mall

• Please log in to reply
431 replies to this topic

#1 bbcentral

bbcentral
  • Administrators
  • 4,520 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 15 March 2004 - 12:25 PM

I have made a map of the Dixie Shopping Mall seen in the Blues Brothers Movie.
It details most of the stores seen in the mall.
You can get it from here

Feel free to comment on it in this topic.
Chris Rossi
Senior Administrator
Blues Brothers Central
http://www.bluesbrotherscentral.com
Twitter | Facebook

#2 Flashcomix

Flashcomix
  • Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 10:03 PM

You are a "wild and crazy guy" :-)

#3 jakeelwood

jakeelwood
  • Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:43 PM

A few weeks ago, I saw a picture of the Dixie Square Mall when It was open, and in the pic they showed the Walgreens(Toys R Us in movie), and a Covergirl store(The Bridal shop in the movie).

#4 FATDANDIXIE123

FATDANDIXIE123
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:25 AM

THE MALL MAP IS INCREDIBLE! I WAS BORN IN HARVEY AND USED TO SHOP AT THE MALL WHEN I WAS A KID. MY MOM SAYS THAT SHE SHOPPED THERE WHEN SHE WAS PREGNANT WITH ME.
I WOULD LIKE ANYONE WITH PICS OF THE MALL (PAST OR PRESENT)THAT ARE NOT FROM OTHER WEBSITES TO CONTACT ME. I HAVE BUILT A BOOK OF PICTURES AND AM DYING FOR NEW MATERIAL. THANKS!

#5 jakeelwood

jakeelwood
  • Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:44 AM

Hey, could you give me the link to those Dixie Square Mall pictures? Thanks

#6 TKvanB

TKvanB
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 June 2004 - 01:30 PM

We heard on the news this morning that the Dixie shopping mall burned down this morning. :(

#7 FATDANDIXIE123

FATDANDIXIE123
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:24 AM

IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY AT THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SCREEN WHEN THEY ARE DRIVING --OUTSIDE-- THE MALL, YOU CAN SEE A RED WALGREEN'S SIGN ON THE EXTERIOR OF THE MALL. I JUST NOTICED IT.

#8 jakeelwood

jakeelwood
  • Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:25 AM

That's what they did: They put the Toys R Us in the old Walgreens, but, sealed half of the old store off, to park the cars in, so they could drive them through the break away walls. I learned this from watching a video walkthrough on this website: www.eddie.kbx81.com. I think that's the link anyway. But, If you look in that video. When they look in the old store: The colored paint only goes halfway down the length of the store. Hope this helps!

And P.S. To all those people out there. I do not steal info and credit it as my own. Some info of this movie, regarding the mall, and the history, is my own info as well. If it is somebody else's, I will credit it to thier name...... Thank you.

#9 jakeelwood

jakeelwood
  • Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:26 AM

And, FATDANDIXIE? Didn't you give me the link to that walkthrough? I forgot If you did or not. It was very intresting :) Thank you.

#10 jakeelwood

jakeelwood
  • Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 29 July 2004 - 05:54 AM

Hey guys! I just found this cool site about The Dixie Square Mall. I don't know If you guys have seen this or not.

http://www.faqfarm.com/History/Chicago/33104

#11 wilson_blues

wilson_blues
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMonterrey

Posted 29 July 2004 - 03:16 PM

Quite interesting.

I found this one, a few months ago:

http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/dixie_square_mall.html

kinda sad seeing the dixie mall ending like this...

#12 bbcentral

bbcentral
  • Administrators
  • 4,520 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 29 July 2004 - 05:10 PM

Just so you know, jakeelwood above is one of the people who works for deadmalls.com
They all do a great job!
Chris Rossi
Senior Administrator
Blues Brothers Central
http://www.bluesbrotherscentral.com
Twitter | Facebook

#13 jakeelwood

jakeelwood
  • Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 29 July 2004 - 11:08 PM

Thanks, man! I don't have a commentary for The Dixie Square Mall yet, but, I do have info included in my friend Josh's commentary, on his site, www.mallhistory.com. which has two of my own commentaries under New York State. Plus, I have just given him three more to add. Also, If you would like to see my commentaries on deadmalls.com, look under New York State. Or check the updates section and look for my name.

Anyway, back on topic, do you know anything more about that small fire? Any other news stories? I only found one so far. I would think that there would be tons of articles about it.

#14 FATDANDIXIE123

FATDANDIXIE123
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:13 AM

I READ THAT IT WAS A SMALL FIRE IN AN OLD STORAGE AREA OF WOOLWORTH'S. IT STARTED AROUND 430 AM, AND THE FIRE CHIEF SAID SINCE THERE IS NO GAS OR ELECTRIC SERVICE TO THE MALL, IT HAD TO BE ARSON.

I THINK THERE IS A FIRE DEPT ON THE SOUTHEAST SIDE OF THE PARKING LOT NEAR THAT MULIT-STORY (APARTMENT?) BUILDING.

#15 jakeelwood

jakeelwood
  • Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:59 AM

ok, cool. Thanks for the info!

#16 Guinevere_1989

Guinevere_1989
  • Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationKindyville Uganda

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:13 PM

Whoever was the arsonist is evil.

#17 carl3615

carl3615
  • Validating
  • 21 posts
  • LocationHarvey IL

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:09 AM

Hello from Harvey IL!! I live a few blocks from the old Dixie Square and witnessed some of the filming of the mall chase--from a distance (security was tight!). Here is some info on that fire: "The fire started Friday in a storage area of the old Woolworth department store in the mall at 153rd Street and Dixie Highway. "There was no electricity or gas service to the building, which leads us to believe it was deliberately set," said Lt. Ron DeYoung.
The 800,000-square-foot structure, crumbling from neglect and vandalism, was closed in 1979."

Three pics from the original mall are in my album under "Dixie" here:http://members8.clubphoto.com/carl515278/1552515/guest.phtml

Amazingly when the mall closed in 1979 the owners moved it to (where else?): Calumet City!

The scenes in the film just before they entered mall parking lot were filmed in Wheaton IL.

During the filming Jake and Elwood blew minds at the nearby Burger King--entering unnannounced ordering over 100 burgers for the crew.

On the southeast side of the mall is the Harvey Police station--they ran us out of the mall a couple years ago when we tried to drive into one of the buildings with a pickup and camcorder. Still got some good footage, tho.

#18 dixiesquare

dixiesquare
  • Members
  • 3,850 posts
  • Locationchicago burbs

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:39 AM

i am sure that most of your information is correct except for three things.#1. the chase started in park ridge at or about devon and cortland. on one of the side streets there abouts. where you see them on the wet street spinning around , that is devon ave the building with the fence type roof is still there i belive it houses a real estate office among others.#2. they enter the mall from dixie highway going south turning east into it. you can see the pennys auto center on the corner still boarded up. and if you look real hard youll see the ( i wish they were still in illinois) the jack in the box on the west side of dixie highway. belive it or not its still there borded up better than the mall is , but still there. #3 the burger king you mention , there was one by the mall it closed maybe 1 or two(?) years ago, any way the building that is there is one of the models built in the mid to late 80s. are you sure it was a burger king? oh you mention that the owners moved it to cal city. moved what?? and to where in cal city?
" Just trying to make everyone feel welcome " !

"Oh life is like a maze of doors and they all open from the side you're on
Just keep on pushing hard boy, try as you may
You're going to wind up where you started from "

#19 dixiesquare

dixiesquare
  • Members
  • 3,850 posts
  • Locationchicago burbs

Posted 28 August 2004 - 06:47 AM

as of this date there have been crews of men at the mall cleaning away the trees weeds and garbage that has accumalated there over the last 25+ years. they are also starting to board up door ways and entrances . right now they have boarded up the west side of the pennys and the jewel and some of the montgomery wards store.
it looks as though they are going and cleaning and boarding, starting at the pennys south around the building, today they started on the south side of the wards where the garden center was.and there also looks as though they are going to chain link off the perimiter around the whole mall, as i saw one of the entrances with new chain link across it. i have put in a email to the mayor of harvey , to see if he can shed some light on this. there were plans a few months ago of a group in cludind a former mayor of harvey to buy the property from the city. may be mayor kellogg can inform me more. if and when that happens i will let every one know what is going on. and if they are to soon demolish it i will try for pictures and film.
" Just trying to make everyone feel welcome " !

"Oh life is like a maze of doors and they all open from the side you're on
Just keep on pushing hard boy, try as you may
You're going to wind up where you started from "

#20 FATDANDIXIE123

FATDANDIXIE123
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 08:33 AM

Hey Jerome! Thanks for the info. Please keep us posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users