Note from admin: The forum software has been upgraded, however the theme/styles require maintenance. Please be patient as we work to restore them.

Photo
- - - - -

How many cars!?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kodanja7

kodanja7
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:57 AM

how many cars did they wreck in the 1st Blues Bros. Movie?

:P:P:p:p:p:phttp://www.bluesbrotherscentral.com/forum2/public/style_emoticons/default/icon_cool.gif:P:P:p

#2 Harper-Chris

Harper-Chris
  • Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:06 PM

Hi and welcome on BB Central!
...I don´t know, but I remember the answer is somewhere on this site! Hope you can find it...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 kodanja7

kodanja7
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:09 PM

Thanx
Ive always loved that movie & the question arose from a British car Forum....

I hope someone can help me!

#4 Steam McQueen

Steam McQueen
  • Members
  • 5,614 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:51 PM

On the DVD John Landis mentions how he made 40 cop cars look like 100. You'll notice during the crash scenes the same stunt being used from different angles. The Wiki article puts the number at 60.

For the large car chases, filmmakers purchased 60 police cars at $400 each, and most were destroyed at the completion of the filming.

The Blues Brothers (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:BB:

Here's an interesting piece I saw from CNN just today.

Everyone knows the Blues Mobile -- Jake and Elwood's 1974 Dodge Monaco in "The Blues Brothers" movie -- but few know where all the cop cars famously smashed to pieces in the film came from.
Paul Anderson, a journalist in Los Angeles, says it was his dad, also Paul, a Chicago, Illinois, police radio engineer who was tasked with fixing up the Dodge Polaras and Monacos wrecked in the film (with the Chicago city council spurred into action by the possibility of Steven Spielberg and John Landis coming to their city to make a big-budget movie).
He once recounted to Paul: "I just remember one day my boss, the lieutenant who always gave me a hard time, came to me and pointed to the auto graveyard where all the out-of-service squad cars were and said, 'See all those cars? Your job is to get them started.'
I said, 'Are you kidding?'" Paul adds: "[My Dad] had a savant-like ability to rescue beaters from near-death experiences. When the movie came out, he went to see it like everyone else and he could remember each and every one of those cars."

Top 10 cop cars of all time - CNN.com
(misleading title)

;)

The Bluesmobiles have been listed at 13 but I believe 12 is the accurate number.

6 - Principal cars
2 - Stunt cars
3 - Jump cars
1 - Mock-up car

Although they might not be counting the one that comes apart at the end. I'm not sure about that. In which case the number would indeed be 13.

:BB:

#5 Bismo

Bismo
  • Members
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

Shotgun pointed that article out to me too, Steam... I especially liked seeing Columbo's beat-up Peugeot on the same list since my son and I have been going through those old shows lately and we always comment on that car! Great to see an article that puts that and the Bluesmobile right next to each other. (But no, I don't feel an inkling to go build a Columbo replica, lol!)
Keep the Faith -

Bismo "Traveling" Beerbelly
www.hailthetiki.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 kodanja7

kodanja7
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:48 AM

Thanx guys!!:P:P:BB::P:P

#7 loreXS

loreXS
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

I once read that the movie had the world record of most cars destroyed for a movie. Can't really remember where I read it. Maybe on BBCentral somewhere, maybe in wikipedia, maybe somewhere else. Maybe this reply is getting very pointless -_-'

I could be wrong... tell me.

#8 Elwood72

Elwood72

Torn and Frayed

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationColesville,MD

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:37 PM

I have an interview with Danny where he says they bought 700 police cars from CPD....

I got everything I need....almost...
"I was growing sick of rock and roll, it was starting to bore me...and I hated disco, so I needed some place to go. I hadn't heard much blues before. It felt good."-John Belushi
Elwood72.jpg
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000330323262

#9 3LW00D

3LW00D
  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:48 PM

I have an interview with Danny where he says they bought 700 police cars from CPD....

Really? Can you post it somewhere? I remember my mom telling me when I first saw it that the CPD was getting new cars that year so they sold the movie alot of the old ones. I don't know if it's true or not though.

#10 Elwood72

Elwood72

Torn and Frayed

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationColesville,MD

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

Really? Can you post it somewhere? I remember my mom telling me when I first saw it that the CPD was getting new cars that year so they sold the movie alot of the old ones. I don't know if it's true or not though.

I found it online,and I'll post it in Dannys' section,but I need to come clean first:I made a mistake-it wasn't 700 cars;it was 70 cars @$700 each.

Here's the pertinent quote:

Playboy: You've often been criticized for creating movies with runaway budgets.
Aykroyd: We are always criticized for costs--for 1941, Ghostbusters, Blues Brothers--but that money doesn't go into the pockets of actors and directors, it goes into the pockets of labor.

Playboy: And special effects and wrecked cars...
Aykroyd: The major expense of Blues Brothers was not the seventy police cars we bought from the Chicago Police Department. We paid only $700 each for them. the major expense was labor, so that's good, it gets people working, and why shouldn't the profits of the megacorporations be reinvested in the trades of this industry?s

I got everything I need....almost...
"I was growing sick of rock and roll, it was starting to bore me...and I hated disco, so I needed some place to go. I hadn't heard much blues before. It felt good."-John Belushi
Elwood72.jpg
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000330323262

#11 3LW00D

3LW00D
  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

Thanks, that clears it up.

#12 Steam McQueen

Steam McQueen
  • Members
  • 5,614 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:19 PM

I once read that the movie had the world record of most cars destroyed for a movie. Can't really remember where I read it. Maybe on BBCentral somewhere, maybe in wikipedia, maybe somewhere else. Maybe this reply is getting very pointless -_-'

Lol.

I could be wrong... tell me.

Contentious issue. Six years before The Blues Brothers was released, a film by the name of Gone In 60 Seconds made a claim of 93 cars "destroyed." In my opinion that claim is not accurate because a great number of those cars suffered what I would consider 'cosmetic damage,' they were not "destroyed." The Blues Brothers may have indeed had more cars destroyed.

I guess it's time to count 'em. Lol :mrgreen:. BBPrivate has a "DESTRUCTION OF PUBLIC PROPERTY REPORT" from the Department of Public Works, which lists 57 cars by I.D. number.

27 - Chicago Police
17 - Cook County Sheriff Cars
13 - Illinois State Police

But they don't even mention #55, so ... now that we have the DVD and all that perfect slo-mo stuff, maybe a final count is in order. I remember trying this with my VHS tape a long time ago. Y'know ... I think Administrator Scott once had the roof numbers of cars that crashed ... hmmm, maybe that was the list from BBPrivate (lol) not sure. We can always to try to come up with a pretty close number here. I'll try some counting!

;)

#13 3LW00D

3LW00D
  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:28 AM

I also read somwhere, I think it was imdb.com, that they broke the record, and that the record stood until it was broken in the second movie.

#14 Steam McQueen

Steam McQueen
  • Members
  • 5,614 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

I also read somwhere, I think it was imdb.com, that they broke the record, and that the record stood until it was broken in the second movie.

I've read that, too. They never actually give a number. I'm skeptical of these claims, for any movie.

As far as BB2000 is concerned, the scene of CAR-nage is spectacular! But no way it set any records.

In 1982, H.B. Halicki's 2nd movie came out ... The Junkman. The claim on that one was "150 Cars Destroyed!" I have that movie on VHS and did indeed count cars damaged or destroyed. I was being generous and came up with a final tally of 72 cars damaged or destroyed. I think that this film has the record!

http://www.bluesbrotherscentral.com/forum2/public/style_emoticons/default/icon_cool.gif

It's tough to count the cars in The Blues Brothers, because of the multiple camera angles. Even the cop cars in the Mall ... there was probably 4 made to look like 2, and even after that, those cars were probably launched later in the film. :D

I'd figure that the number of cars damaged or destroyed in either film would be less than people think.

;)

#15 3LW00D

3LW00D
  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

I'm sure that it is less than people think, there is no way that they would have wanted to keep going out and buying cars. Most likely they had a repair shop to keep fixing the cars they busted. Doesn't someone on here have one of the movie cars from the first film and it has a crooked stearing wheel from it being crashed and then fixed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users