Note from admin: The forum software has been upgraded, however the theme/styles require maintenance. Please be patient as we work to restore them.

Photo
- - - - -

Speaker For Roof Of The Bluesmobile

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HumanBiped

HumanBiped
  • Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationNorwood, Ohio

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hey everybody!

Are there instructions anywhere on how to build a replica of the speaker on top of the Bluesmobile?

I seem to remember one from somewhere (I think the Alabama Blues Brothers put it up) that had one where you could use a trash can, a wooden pallet, and other stuff to make one.

Or does anyone have some tips for what they did to make one?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

#2 JoiletJakeBlues

JoiletJakeBlues
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPickens County SC

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

I read about a guy make one out of 3 large buckets,left over wood and some thin steel.
the buckets must have been industrial or for some type of thing,they were big.
Hope it can help.also a guy sold a real one of a original bluesmobile on ebay motors for $19,500.00!
I think thats outragous hope it all helps.

#3 yellowrr

yellowrr
  • Members
  • 216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, VA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

I made mine out of a large plastic bucket that I picked up at Lowes and 2 smaller car wash sized buckets from the Dollar Tree, and for the base I used some old 2x4's that I picked up where they were demolishing some old houses. They're sort of "aged" and "used" looking, which is cool. The "hook" shaped thing on the back of the speaker I made out of a big sheet of election sign material (Coroplast - like plastic cardboard box material).

I have an AutoCAD drawing of the hook shaped thing that I could email to you if you want it??? You lay it out at full scale on a sheet of Coroplast and cut & bend on the lines, and then I used very thin steel wire to hold it all together. I primered and painted the plastic parts with a good quality spray paint, and used "hammertone" paint on it for a more uneven look, but it also helps it to look more like it's made of metal.

While it is NOT a "1,000% accurate" creation, it does look "close enough". But the biggest benefit is that I can take the (unbelievably light weight) speaker off of the base and put it in the back seat, and put the wooden frame into the trunk and I can still close the lid. I have a guitar case that I use for my other props, and it all fits into the trunk with room to spare for luggage, the spare tire, tools, etc...

I have a CB radio that I put a cigarette lighter power plug on, and have a small Radio Shack PA speaker inside of the smaller car wash bucket so that we can do the announcements... "...One night only, at the fabulous Palace Hotel Ballroom..."

PM me with your email address for any other info and I'll be glad to send you photos, dimensions, etc.

"Sometimes if you go nowhere often enough, you end up somewhere!"
Elwood Blues from the Jove book "The Blues Brothers" page 55

'74 Dodge Monaco "Bluesmobile" My DAILY DRIVER for =10= years!!!
(In the Rain, snow, & shine!!!)

Also '71 Plymouth Road Runner and a '49 Dodge Truck

#4 yellowrr

yellowrr
  • Members
  • 216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, VA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

For some reason (it's probably the "thought police" here at work) I can't upload any of the photos that I have of the car with the speaker on it. PM me and I'll try to post some from home.

Thanks!!!

"Sometimes if you go nowhere often enough, you end up somewhere!"
Elwood Blues from the Jove book "The Blues Brothers" page 55

'74 Dodge Monaco "Bluesmobile" My DAILY DRIVER for =10= years!!!
(In the Rain, snow, & shine!!!)

Also '71 Plymouth Road Runner and a '49 Dodge Truck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users